kizzyk

Sunday 12 January 2014

I have never done plastic surgery-Uche jombo

Growing up

It was an adventurous childhood. I was always either playing football with boys or climbing trees.  My mom got scared of my hyperactive nature and enrolled me in a drama group in church. I was awarded scholarship by the church   as the best drama student.  I have a first degree in Mathematics and Statistics from the University of Calabar. I also hold a post graduate diploma in Computer Programming from the Federal University of Technology, Minna.

Married life

Married life is great. I am not missing spinsterhood at all. My husband is a great human being. He works and lives in New York. I met him through a doctor friend of mine who is his business partner.  After our first meeting, he came to talk to me about some business ventures and that’s how we started talking.  My first attraction to him was his personality. I don’t know how many children we plan to have yet.

Experience as a producer in Nollywood

I always say this: I am an actor first before being the producer or a writer. The experience is everything and more.  The producer is more like the one who takes risks, gets  disappointed, picks herself up and goes on to  the next thing.  I’m enthusiastic and I’m prepared to work even harder at making my present film better than my last one. The adrenalin rush is making a movie people can relate to and if it makes more money for me, I am more thankful for that.

George Clooney’s quote about being an actor turned film maker is “I don’t have to prove I can act anymore.  Just serving the movie makes a huge difference. There’s simplicity to how you are doing it that makes it easier to convey”  I love that quote because I think it’s true for most actors turned producers.

New Year resolution

I know we are in the New Year. But I don’t have any New Year resolution. I will let things take their cause and let God direct all my actions.

Alternative career other than acting

Right now I can’t think of anything I would rather do than be an actress.  The decision to take up acting as a career was inspired by my being in the right place at the right time.  It was almost like a challenge. I had gone to Fidelis Duker’s office for something else and met an audition for a movie. When I was asked if I can act, I said yes. They handed a script to me.  That was how I got my first movie role in 1999 for the movie Visa to hell.

Career growth

I’m one of those people who would be right if I say I started from a very humble beginning in my career. I did lots of supporting roles and behind the scenes. I think to be consistent with what you do, you should work on yourself more.

I’m in love with the art. It was never about money or fame with me. I can’t count how many movies I did without being paid for them.  When you pursue whatever you do with a passion and the love you have for it, it might not be that lucrative at the beginning but at the end of the day, every other thing will fall in line. That’s how it has been for me.

It was not always rosy.   It’s been a struggle but by God’s grace, it’s been a successful story. I always tell people starting that it’s always about self belief because in this business, you are going to get lots of nos before you get the yes’. But don’t be discouraged. Work more on your craft and self confidence.

The real Uche Jombo

The real Uche Jombo is the girl next door

Celebrity crush

Now it’s Robert Deniro, I guess.

Style

Style to me means comfort, classy and simplicity.

Most expensive item in my wardrobe

None can come to mind right now.

Favourite fashion accessory

I loved shoes at a time because of my height. I loved high heels but they are now a tool for my job.

Plastic surgery

I have never gone under the knife. I hear people say I have done plastic surgery on my nose.  I cannot imagine a desire to fix my nose of all the things I would to my body. It sounds very ridiculous.

Dislikes

I don’t have the time to dislike anybody. Mistakes and faults are an integral part of us as humans.

Saddest day 

The saddest day of my life was the day my dad died.

Beauty secrets

I stay away from make-up when I’m off set. I also eat right and drink plenty of water.

Plans for 2014

I plan to keep at what I am doing. I know I can only get better.

Last word for fans

I am truly humbled and grateful for their support over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment